Welcome to the official blog of The Wellness Community Valley/Ventura, an affiliate of the Cancer Support Community! Thank you for stopping by. We’ll use this space to share fresh news, inspiring stories, helpful advice, upcoming events, and anything else we feel will help our readers engage with our cancer support organization and the cancer support community at large. Please keep your feedback coming, via comments, or send us an email.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Part Two: More Q & A with Melissa

We're getting EXCITED for the LA Marathon on March 21!



Welcome to the second installment of our Q&A with Melissa Hoff, a member and volunteer for Team Wellness. You can join Melissa as she runs for HOPE - click here to learn more.

TWCVV: What would you say to people who want to join the team but have never done fundraising and are nervous about asking people for money?

Melissa: Fundraising is an amazing way to connect with people. You are giving other people the opportunity to support a cause that has affected everyone in one way or another. During my fundraising, I found out that there were members of my family that I never knew had cancer. You have to remember that you aren’t asking for money for yourself. This is about helping other people.

TWCVV: Why do you think The Wellness Community is a worthy cause for Team Wellness members to raise funds for?

This is such an amazing organization. It not only helps the person with the disease but it helps their family members as well. Support is so important and being with people who are going through the same thing you are doesn’t really make it easier but it makes you feel like you aren’t alone and to me, that is scarier than anything out there.

TWCVV: What other racing events have you participated in and can you describe the experience?

Melissa: In 2007, I was part of a cancer charity team. During that time, I ran in the Great Race of Agoura 15k (the 5k and 10k in the same day) and the San Diego Rock n’ Roll Half marathon. I had never run before and I was skeptical that I would be able to complete a half marathon. Now, I run every day and I am always looking for new ways of challenging myself. The thrill of the race and the competition is exhilarating but crossing the finish line is better than anything I have ever experienced.

Our heartfelt thanks to Melissa for participating in Team Wellness and sharing her thoughts with us. Please consider joining, supporting, or raising awareness for Team Wellness. For more info visit our website or call 805.379.4777. And keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment